Camp 101: New Technology PolicyMarch 4, 2015
Dear Camp Parents,
As we prepare the for this summer we are sending out a weekly Camp 101 emails to be sure you have all the information you need to prepare for the summer. If you missed last week’s email please click here. To read this week’s please check your email inbox today, or click here.
Please read on to learn about our NEW TECHNOLOGY POLICY for Summer 2015.
It has come to our attention that despite our best efforts, in recent years campers of all ages have come to Camp with electronic devices containing apps, movies, video games and even the capability to communicate with the world outside of Camp. For more than 10 years now our community has proudly identified itself as an “unplugged summer camp” and it is an important characteristic of who we are and what we do. For that reason, we have made some necessary changes to our rules regarding electronic devices.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
WHY ARE OUR SUMMERS UNPLUGGED?
- To promote the social bonding and connection that is integral to our camp community
- To allow campers to fully explore and enjoy all the offline activities available to them
- To give our campers a true break from the technology-heavy world they inhabit the rest of the year
- To protect our campers from inappropriate material
- To protect our campers from making choices or posting inappropriate material that could negatively impact themselves or others
We also ask our counselors to observe and promote our technology-free environment, and to that end the only place that staff are permitted to use their electronics (cell phones, laptops etc) is in the Counselor Lounge during their free time.
The ONLY electronic items permitted at camp are:
A basic MP3 player with NO video or game capabilities and NO wifi connection. This means that iPods, iTouches or iPhones (even without a calling plan or SIM card) will NOT be allowed at Camp this summer. If you child wants or needs a more basic MP3 player for this summer, here are some inexpensive suggestions:
A Kindle Paperwhite* only (or real books of course!)
*please note that other versions of Kindle or e-book devices are not permitted, due to their potential for internet access and/or weaker parental controls
We have an incredible Camp Photographer who takes hundreds of pictures every day, so our campers should feel free to enjoy their time at camp without any pressure to record it! However, should your child wish to bring a camera it must be a basic model only (and not a cell phone, iTouch or any other multi media device).
Absolutely NO CELL PHONES are permitted at camp
Please do not permit your children to take any of the following items to Camp:
- cellular phones
- video players of any sort
- e-readers (other than the Kindle Paperwhite)
- any electronic device capable of internet access
- PSPs, Gameboys, or any other electronic video game systems.
Knowing violations of our technology policy by a child or parent may result in a child’s immediate dismissal from Camp. In this event, there will be no refund of tuition.
Please understand that Camp will not be responsible for lost, damaged or stolen electronic equipment.
While we firmly believe that our policy regarding electronics will mean a happy, active and engaged summer for your child, we also embrace our digital age and all that it does to help our community stay close and connected! Here are some things we love about what technology enables you to do as part of the K&E family:
- Access and submit all of your 2015 summer forms online!
- Read informative and fun posts on our blog
- Email your camper with our one-way email system!
- See photographs uploaded each day by Sheila, our amazing Camp photographer!
- Pretend you are at Camp yourself with these background soundswhile you work!
- Like our Facebook page and get fun updates in your newsfeed
If you have any questions about any of this please don’t hesitate to get in touch! Call 781-793-0091 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMING UP NEXT WEEK:
Camp 101: Preparing Emotionally For Camp
K&E parent account