Kids and Technology: Info for camp parents on our unplugged summersMarch 3, 2016
For more than 10 years now our brother-sister summer camp community has proudly identified itself as an “unplugged summer camp” and it is an important characteristic of who we are and what we do.
WHY DO WE UNPLUG?
- To promote the social bonding and connection that is integral to our camp community
- To allow campers to fully explore and enjoy all the offline activities available to them
- To give our campers a true break from the technology-heavy world they inhabit the rest of the year
- To guard our campers from inappropriate material
- To protect our campers from making poor choices or posting inappropriate material that could negatively impact themselves or others
For these reasons and more we have made some necessary and important rules regarding electronic devices.
A Kindle Paperwhite* only (or real books of course**!)
*please note that other versions of Kindle or e-book devices are not permitted, due to their potential for internet access and/or weaker parental controls
Please see HERE for instructions on setting Parental Controls to block web browser access on the Kindle Paperwhite.
We have an incredible Camp Photographer who takes hundreds of pictures every day, so our campers should feel free to enjoy their time at camp without any pressure to record it! However, should your child wish to bring a camera it must be a basic model only (and not a cell phone, iTouch or any other multi media device).
Absolutely NO CELL PHONES are permitted at camp
The Developmental Importance Of
Unplugging Our Children
We ask the parents of the Kenwood & Evergreen community to please not permit their children to take any of the following items to Camp:
- cellular phones
- video players of any sort
- e-readers (other than the Kindle Paperwhite)
- any electronic device capable of internet access
- PSPs, Gameboys, or any other electronic video game systems.
Please understand that Camp will not be responsible for lost, damaged or stolen electronic equipment.
- Access and submit all of your 2016 summer forms online!
- Read informative and fun posts on our blog!
- Email your camper with our one-way email system!
- See photographs uploaded each day by our amazing Camp photographer!
- Pretend you are at Camp yourself with these background sounds while you work!
- Like our Facebook page and get fun updates in your newsfeed!